Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

House Guest: The Spirit

Part of educating at home is assuming household responsibilities at a young age.

As three year olds, they are invited to match socks for 5 cents a pair. This helps teach them matching and the reward for doing something of value to others in the house. It really is of value because if they don't match, we all wear mismatched socks. I love doing laundry for six people but I loathe socks. They get tossed clean into a bin for the little matchers.

Pretty quickly, matching grows old and requests for more important chores are made.

I try to allow them whatever chores they are interested most in doing. I also try not to insist they perform chores they don't like. This keeps a positive feeling associated with household work and in my experience, creates an environment of helpfulness.

I have a weekly garage sweeper, two children who like to clean car interiors, a few who like to dust. No one chooses to clean bathrooms but they are responsible for wiping down their own space and is a part of their deal of schooling at home.

The older ones receive a small allowance in exchange for certain chores they pick each week. They keep track of chore completion and may choose to skip their allowance if things go undone. When their father and I are ready to pay more in exchange for more help around the house, we meet and discuss the opportunity and usually find enthusiastic kids who want more to do.

Twelve year old daughter empties the dishwasher thrice each week and is a helper to me with vacuuming, mopping and whatever room I'm working on that week.

Ten year old son washes, dries, folds and puts away his own laundry. He actually chose laundry as his weekly chore. He loves doing his own laundry! He also sweeps the garage once a week.

Six year old daughter loves to dust and clean mirrors and wipe down bathroom sinks. She actually scrubbed off some sticky tape glue that was on my mirror for years because I couldn't get it off. Without my asking, she just tackled it.

Three year old son... well... I suppose he is comic relief and moral support and of course, Chief Sock Matcher.

When I am organized with a weekly list of things I'd like done around the house and an idea of what time of day it should happen around schooling, the house runs like a well oiled machine. In contrast, when things feel disheveled or messy, I get this feeling of overwhelm being home. In those moments, I can see how I did not order our day well. In those moments I see that it is me who can do a bit better.

When our shared space is tidy and clean, the rest of our day goes well. The Spirit of learning, of helpfulness, of cheerfulness, of knowing seems to dwell easier in our home on those days.

In the Spirit of Sisterhood..
ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment