Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Second Stop, Charleston, South Carolina!

This is Charleston's Rainbow Row.  originally built in the 1700s they represented the center of commerce in this port town that was the south's equivalent to Boston.  Merchants sold their wares on the first floors and lived and loved upstairs.  Many have three stories. 

Why did we visit Charleston?  My intellectual answer is that it is a place rich in Revolutionary and Civil War history.  My emotional answer is that I spent time here as a girl and have always found that it just "speaks to me."  Have you visited places and appreciate them yet some do not "speak" to you as others do?  Well, Charleston "speaks to me".  Perhaps I will live some part of my life here, I don't KNOW why it speaks to me.  It just does!  'Nuff said.  

Out in the harbor lies Fort Sumpter.  This was the first naval engagement of the Revolutionary War AND where the first battle was waged and won by the confederates in the Civil War, taking over the Fort from the Union forces.  You can take a boat ride to it about 3 or 4 miles into the harbor, or you can simply enjoy it from Charleston, as we did.





Charleston has a fun City Market similar to Boston's market if you have ever been.


Apparently, there are only about 200 families still active in the art of Sea Grass Basket Making.  The baskets seem to range from $100 for very small baskets to over $300 for larger baskets.  Increased development in the area has reduced the amount of available sweet grass.  The craft is usually passed from from mother to daughter, and there are reportedly no written instructions on how to make a sea grass basket. 



I like many kinds of nuts plain, but I HATE them in baked goods.  I don't know why.  My mother still teases me that I "will like them when I get big!".  Yeck.  HOWEVER....I tried my first Pecan Praline....... oh goodness.  I thought I died and saw Rhett Butler. What is a praline, you ask? 


It's pecans in a buttery, brown sugary coating, THAT'S WHAT IT IS.  That's what I'm talkin' about.  Seriously, head to River Street World Famous Pralines located on N. Market Street about one block north of the City Market.  They have all sorts of naughty hand made candy and penny candy.  Must - Stop - In!!!

When I travel, I do only a minimal amount of planning and things usually work out well.  This gets tricky with children, but the spontaneity keeps things interesting and fun for everyone.  I will say that Charleston has excellent, inexpensive parking and a free trolley system with stops all over town.  Be sure to travel by foot down King's Street (upscale shopping).  After the shops, it turns into residential area that is simply beautiful with cute immaculate row houses, gardens and wrought iron gates.  A photographer's paradise. 


I decided that I would like to return to Charleston, sans children, slowly walk King's street and fully absorb all that is there (as opposed to the slightly more rushed pace of traveling with children and limited time).  I would like to have dinner there where I may order chilled white wine (wait, I don't drink alcohol) and have a summer salad then stroll back, (fully noticing the architecture) to my short term rented flat and...I could go on and on with my daydreams...whoops!  Next post...Kiawah!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment