Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Campfire Steak Tips

This is how we made dinner over the campfire in a cast iron skillet and Dutch oven on a lazy Sunday. 

I recently gave up my shameful daily sipping of diet Dr. Pepper and therefore used the last two to marinate the sirloin tips. I also threw some shallots in there.
After the lovelies marinated for a bit, enter: more shallots, BROWN SUGAR, sherry, grapeseed oil, BUTTER (Can you find the butter hidden in this picture?), coarse sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and any herbs that smelled nice next to the Dr. Pepper, including but not limited to Montreal Steak Seasoning and marjoram. 



Layer the marinated tips over the above.  NO need to include the remaining Dr. Pepper.
cutting them with scissors, if necessary.  I'm a dork but, I love the feeling of cutting meat with scissors. These are not my hands, though.
Toss iron skillet on the camp fire and COVER!  Turn every 5 minutes or so until done.  We like it medium rare or medium. Served with baked potatoes cooked over the flame.
My family started devouring before I could snap the final photo!  The dish was much fuller and more beautiful than this!
It was so juicy and sweet and full of flavors!  A big hit in an outdoor home cookout. Served with potatoes and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment