Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Art in the Little Red School House



Art is not a natural inclination of most members in our family.  Well, we are wondering about child #3.
(when do families actually start referring to their children by number?)
We are JOCKS.  Grrr...FLEX.
I do feel art is important to have exposure to.
I've exposed the kids to famous work and genres by this amazing book series 
Come Look With Me in the early elementary years.

My little jocks actually enjoy classical art museums such as The Clark Art Museum 
 in Williamstown, MA. 

In prior years, I have taken my older children to Southern Vermont Art Center for camps and workshops.  The day camp quality there is amazing and the instruction second to none. 
I have not found available workshops there this year so I had to look elsewhere for some art to satisfy that piece of our education.  

 Another local community has an old one room school house building that is used for extra curricular activities for families educating at home. 

I brought my children there for the first time today to have some formal art instruction. 
Today we learned how to make wire and tissue paper sculptures.

 

They had a lot of fun! All four were super interested.  I asked little Huck what he wanted help in creating and without hesitation he blurted out 'ELEPHANT'.

I got busy without dwelling too much on my lack of sculpting skills.  My son wanted an elephant so an elephant he shall have.  Out of wire.  

Here is a snapshot of all of our creations.  Harleigh had no trouble sculpting a diving dolphin and some waves out of wire.  It was stunning, actually, and I'm wondering where she gets it from. 

Certainly not me.. and no way from her father, who recounts how he drew stick figures in a college-level sketching class.  

Apologies for the sideways photo.  Usually my phone flips it around for me.

 From the top:  Fish, shark, surfboard, Huck's (any my) elephant, Harleigh's diving dolphin, football.  

Kinda silly..our art... but we had fun together.
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment