Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Confessions of a Homeschooling Mom

I homeschool my four children in rural Vermont. You can imagine my elation to receive an invitation to Westport, Connecticut for an evening social gathering with some families that we know.

Field Trip, kids!

We spent the night due to the distance.

It felt like The Fresh Air Fund in reverse. Maybe I can start a similar exchange program where other country kids and their moms get to spend a couple of days in Westport - learning the language of soccer moms, and the art of carpooling negotiations, viewing the immaculate lawns, and seeing bright yellow school buses that actually pull up to the driveway.

A Westport garden - there's the tent in the backdrop!
Upon waking up in Westport, I grabbed a mug and a hot beverage and shifted into observation mode.

My friend had thrown a catered social event the night prior - complete with life guards and child wranglers.  Her yard had been host to a band, a tent and tables resembling my wedding reception and a deck full of select vintages and a keg or two.



I noticed how I felt observing the morning rush as my graceful friend fixed breakfast and mediated relations between siblings as if nothing had occurred there the night before.  One child was playing The Entertainer on the piano and discussing his b clef while another was quietly seeking her iPhone.  A third was breakfasting.


Suddenly there was a dash for the door - her three and my four - to wait for the bus. Hurry up and wait! It was fun to see my kids witness an actual school bus pick up right at the house.

Civilization!

Kids, this is how it would be if we were cosmopolitan.

My friend let me stand at the school bus stop with her - tea mug in hand- and wave her kids goodbye. Something most mothers experience, I guess, but an act I am deprived of.

A crowd at our Field Trip to the School Bus Stop
As the bus sped away and left us in silence, the husband and I glanced at each other where an electrical exchange of thoughts occurred like, why on EARTH don't WE do this?


"Hurry Up Child, you'll be late for the bus!" ~I've always wanted to say that.

"Bye Kids!  Have a GREAT day"  I'm imagining my children on the bus at this moment. (I'm the waving mother)



We know why we don't do this... Because this is the choice we made as a family.  It is the reason I exist right now.  My kids, their education and me...this entanglement;  it is our Way of Life.  I am thankful every day for the inspiration, energy and motivation I have on some days to accomplish this with them.  

Life is pretty good if my naughtiest fantasies involve a Big Yellow School Bus.

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment