Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Farmers Market First Date

I was invited to the Salt lake City downtown Farmers Market.  It was a fabulous first date idea!  The weather was perfect.   I am ashamed that I have not yet brought my children to a farmers market in Utah.  Maybe I've been afraid of being disappointed.  I mean, Vermont is like the cradle of locally grown, locally-owned, organic, cottage industry and I just couldn't fathom how in the world, Salt Lake City could replicate Vermont's farmers markets.

Plus, I've been known to come home from farmer's markets with kittens.  Yes - I was practically the victim of a crime back in Vermont - When my older children were toddlers, I innocently walked down the stoney pathway admiring the fresh peaches and corn on the cob in the market booths - children in tow- when I was TARGETED by this elderly woman holding a tiny cute orange kitten and a tiny even more adorable black kitten. "Free kittens!" Substitute kittens for the apple in the Snow White photo here and you will get the gist of my story.

They were apparently born in her barn.  Feral.  She showed them to my children.... I was open to taking the orange kitty, but then my son whined that we couldn't possibly leave the black kitty who was clearly the brother of the orange one.. I was duped.  Suckered.  I brought them both home.  I have to be careful at farmer's markets. I'm really NOT A cat lady. I swear. They kept the mice at bay in our country log home. I happily no longer possess animals.

The Salt Lake Farmer's market did not disappoint.  I was blissfully without my children as I was invited by an unfamiliar male.  It was a mellow morning where I could listen to whatever tunes I wanted on the drive there, as the five usual voices clambering to dictate what tunes are played were not present.  I had no idea what I wanted to listen to.  I pondered what would be best to get me in the mood en route to a farmers market, so I opened up Tracy Chapman "Talkin' 'bout a revolution"  {What better way to get in the mood to protest Walmart and Costco for the day and support local growers?}  I also broke out some James Bay.  A friend introduced me to James Bay in another outing... I had never heard of him or his music, but I immediately downloaded some and fell in love with the Coffee House-type tunes.  The kind of tunes I listened to ardently before my kids hijacked my radio, my time and my playlist.  Big girl music.




I'd like to see what Mr. Bay looks like without the hat and his hair tucked fully behind his ear, but he seems to dig this look in every video, so that's cool.  His music is great.  I'm hooked.







Parking was more difficult than in Vermont, but on the walk from my car to the market, I admired vintage signs and walked past some of Salt Lake's homeless taking refuge along the buildings.  It was all kind of urban and artsy.  Wait, I just re-read what I typed...












My date was really nice.  Fun.  Good conversation. I was impressed with his idea to hit the farmers market together.  It was a unique way to get to know each other for a couple of hours.  He bought me a strawberry lemonade and we shared some Pad Thai and sat on the grass and conversed.  We browsed the produce and the pottery.

















We ate some juicy peaches, picked up honey stix for the kids left behind.  I picked up some turquoise pottery I've been coveting for the shelf over my kitchen sink.  It felt great to get out and about.














The visit recharged my social batteries and I'm inspired to take my children there for breakfast next Saturday morning.  I plan to hit this breakfast booth for biscuits and gravy ...check it...



Ciao!







No comments:

Post a Comment