Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Trippy Road Trip!




My nine year old son made a short video clip of our road trip down to South Carolina.  I had never driven so far with my children before.  We covered seven states in two days or about 16 hours of car time.  They were GREAT!  I give credit to the technology of itouch, of which they have two, to circulate amongst them.  Go ahead and judge me as a poor parent as even my three year old is scarily proficient at many games on the itouch.   But he was incredibly happy and busied himself for 16 hours. 

The newest version itouch holds music, games, TV shows, movies and a camera and video capability that I've been using on the trip in place of my older iphone camera.  It does not operate with cellular phone service, but it has wireless connection for internet which is handy in hotels or wherever you land.  My older children have Facebook accounts.  The darned device also has Facetime, the ability to video chat with friends (they video chat with their cousins) when in range of a wireless connection.  I'm impressed.

Since I normally limit their candy and junk food intake, I made sure to STOCK up on as much CRAP as I could find...Lollipops, bags and bags of chips, bubble gum and other good grazing food to help them associate what may seem like an eternity in the car with generally positive "feedback".  I only bring bottled water  - ensuring that we have less potty break stops than if they had juice or soda.  There was zero complaining and no one actually asked "Are we almost there yet?".  A success.  It helps that we enjoy the same music....For the most part.  If I arrive in that place (I know you all know what I speak of here) where I have "had ENOUGH"...I flip off their favorite pop or country channels and ON to CoffeeHouse which always elicits some moans and groans.  But hey, Mom needs SOMETHING sacred to herself on a 16 hour road trip with FOUR children, right?    Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment