Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Mastering the Poached Egg!




I am a sucker for a poached egg.  I am currently in the habit of preparing one for myself almost every morning.  Lately, I refuse to consume eggs any other way than  poached.  Perhaps it is the arduous process of preparing the poached egg that makes me appreciate it so much.  Or maybe it is how much it resembles a pretty scoop of whipped cream.  
Whatever it is, I notice that after fixing one, I savor each and every tiny bite.

Poaching an egg can feel like kind of an enigma.  I am here to remove the mystique and help you enjoy this simple pleasure found in la oeuf (I'm working on my French).

After failing a few different techniques, I've mastered one that I wish to share!

Gather these and do this:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Turn on your tea kettle (boil some water).
Pick up one of these cute little custard dishes shown below
La Oeuf  (the egg)
Something to grease with (PAM spray with canola works best, butter, butter or butter, lard. )
Your favorite spices (I like a pinch of salt and Cajun seasoning).

Oh - If you are feeling really naughty or deprived, you can get out a slice of American cheese.  Tsk tsk tsk...


Aren't these dishes the BOMB? I love them.  

When I was a little girl "helping" my mother bake pies, she used to let me bake a mini pie filled with jam in one of these.  They come in glass or porcelain.  I've been using porcelain.  My mother used glass.

 While the oven is preheating and water is boiling, watch a TED video, pour yourself a breakfast beverage, and set your table! Because a watched kettle NEVER boils and a watched oven NEVER heats up.

Oh - and grease your cute custard dish using a paper towel and your Crisco, butter, or coconut oil.

Precisely when your oven heats to 400 degrees, take your boiling water off the stove and fill your cute little GREASED custard dish about 1/3 full with water.  Immediately break the egg into the boiling water in the cute little custard dish and place into the 400 oven for 8-9 minutes.  

This is the perfect time in my oven for a soft or medium cooked poached egg.

If you forget to grease the cute little custard dish very WELL, you are going to hate poached eggs forever on this next part and never read my blog again.  You must grease the cute little custard dish.

Sorry!  I couldn't resist!  Tee hee!


When the timer is up,  BE SURE TO SET THE TIMER!
When the timer is up, carefully remove the cute little custard dish from holding your poached egg and some water from the oven and CAREFULLY drain out the remaining water over the sink.   

Even though you listened and greased the cute little custard dish, your poached egg is probably going to stick a tiny bit to the bottom just enough for you to drain the water out without losing la oeuf.

Sprinkle a teeny weeny bit of salt and Cajun seasoning AND IF you are anticipating a rough day, place your naughty American cheese on top.  

Enjoy right in the cute little custard dish!  

Please let me know if this worked for you and if you liked it in the comments below. 
It is okay with me to share this page with your friends if you liked it.

Ciao!



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Husband says Pam Spray with canola works best of all to coat the little dish.

    ReplyDelete